Old July 30th 04, 03:38 PM
otzi

Default Help! Attractive girlfriend looks awful in photos - tips needed!!

"Dan Dunphy" dandunphy at pcisys dot net wrote in message
Open shade is very flattering, for head shots. I use a 105 2.5 on my
35mm Nikon, for head shots, going wider will distort features, as was
said in a previous post. The rule of thumb is the shortest lense for
portrature should be the diagonal of the film. I think this is ok for
head and torseau, but too short for closer. I like to get really
close, with the above mentioned 105. For grabshoot cameras, use the
longest focal length. You can experiment with this too.
I've also had very good results with backlight and reflectors, also
flattering. If she's a willing subject, experiment with all the ideas
mentioned, and see what works for you. I also got a good shot
bouncing a photoflood off a projection screen.
Generally side light makes people look slimmer than straight on.

Dan

Thellers, -- You may wish to try squinting your eyes when pre viewing your
pose. The light loss through your lashes firstly tends to reduce colour
effect making the view more B&W ish. Then as you slowly close out more light
the shadows will start to blockup. You can then judge the evenes and
contrast range of the shadow effect. Sounds dumb, try it.

Cheers
otzi