Old October 23rd 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Scott Schuckert

Default Flash unit for Nikon F2 Photomic?

In article , Ricky G. Martin
wrote:

Ok, it has the "pro foot" mount but can be adapted to the ISO with the AS-1.
TTL would be a waste. So, I need a good manual flash. SB-5 looks like a
great choice but where can I find one? Same with the SB-7E. How reliable
would a unit that old be? How about a Vivitar 283? Rechargable or batteries?
Does anyone here have experience with the F2, DP-1 and flash "X"? Any sync
cables required? My brain hurts.

I've owned the SB-7E; it was the "matching" flash for that camera and
is quite nice as far as it goes. Nothing really special except that it
activated the in-finder ready light. I still come across them from time
to time, and for some odd reason they all seem to be in near-mint
condition and work fine. I suspect they were mostly bought by doctor
types and never actually used.

The Vivitar 283/285 with an AS-1 is also a good combination, as long as
you're careful not to bang it on anything. The over-the-rewind position
is somewhat awkward; if you bump the flash on anything you WILL break
the shoe off the Vivitar (the F2 and AS-1 will be fine).