Old October 23rd 07, 04:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Best software for increasing resolution?

IggyZiggy wrote:
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:49:42 GMT, "SS" wrote:

I have seen that Genuine Fractals and Photozoom seem to be 'intelligent'
software but have also seen a review that puts the fred Miranda 'stair
interpolation' Photoshop action better than these. I wonder what
experiences/advice the subscribers to this newsgroup can give. Is there
anything even better on the market now.

Thanks

Any of the methods that are using PhotoShop's native bicubic interpolation and
its 16-bit math foundation (like Miranda's stair interpolation or that
Richardson-Lucy iteration) will be abysmal compared to other more evolved
interpolation methods.

The long rant has little to do with reality. Not that I'm defending
photoshop's math, which is actually 15-bit, not 16-bit. Digital
camera images have a signal to noise ratio limited by photon noise.
Camera's with larger pixels have a maximum S/N of about 250 and less.
Cameras with smaller pixels have maximum S/N of much less, and
15-bit math is plenty for all. What programs like
photoshop and other photo editors lack is true sharpening
algorithms. Obviously you do not understand what Richardson-Lucy
is (it is not a resampling algorithm in the sense of the rest of the
rant).

Roger