Old March 29th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Warm tone papers and developers

When the hydroquinone only formula I posted earlier in this thread made no
discernable difference in my neutral toned paper, I added more carbonate to
shorten the developing times & now I can't tell the difference between it
and Dektol. (Begging the question: what does metol do?)
-LS

"Richard Knoppow" wrote in message
ink.net...

Agfa/Ansco 120 is not so much a warm tone developer as a "soft"
developer, meant to produce somewhat lower contrast than standard
developers. I employs Metol as the sole developing agent. Kodak Selectol
Soft is probably nearly identical.
Most warm tone developers, like Kodak D-52, are simply less active than
neutral/cold tone ones like Dektol/D-72. However, there are some special
developers, like the Agfa Hydroquinone and Hydroquinone and Glycin
developers I posted a day or so ago, that produce noticably warmer tones
than the low activity ones. I am pretty sure Neutol WA is one of these but
can't be sure because Agfa MSDS often leave out some ingredients. If you
can mix your own, and can obtain Glycin, I suggest trying Agfa/Ansco 115,
which I posted earlier. If you can't find it I will post again or send it
to you via e-mail.
As far as commercially packaged developers, Ilford now has a warm tone
and a cold tone developer sold under the Harmon name. I have no idea of
what is in these but they are certainly worth a try. Check the Ilfordphoto
web site for details.