Old August 1st 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
bugbear

Default How should I have shot this picture so it isn't so washed out?

SHAKY HANDS wrote:
Gino, Paul, Steve . . . Thank you so much guys! It isn't fair for me
to ask you to teach me photography, but I think we can all agree I
need to learn the ABC's of --EXPOSURE.

Can you recommend a good site for a newbie like me to study this? I
have all the bells and whistles (the F~ whatevers etc. lol) on my
Olympus but (how can I put this kindly) the Olympus Advanced User
Guide is not exactly . . . er . . . friendly.

The damndest part of this is . . . the tree is beginning to die (well,
that is the goal here but the problem is I want to get pictures of
it before it turns brown. The crown is HUGE and I'm just so proud
that little old me chainsawed this monster down by her little lonesome
I want pictures!!

In that case - since the target is comparitively stationary -
simply use bracketing.

(oh, and in general, if you have a tripod, use it.
Tripods very rarely make a photo worse, assuming you have
tinme to use one).

Grab your camera, and simply take the photograph you want.

Then turn your ev compensation to +1, and take it again.
And again at +2, and so on until you're at the limit of
your EV setting (+2 or +3 is common).

Now repeat through the negative numbers (-1, -2) etc.

If you want to be even more sure, use finer
increments. Most cameras operate either in
1/2 or 1/3 EV steps.

(p63 of your advanced manual)

One of these photos should be "the best". After you've
got the shot of your tree (before it turns brown) you can learn
enough to understand all this in your own time :-)

BugBear