Old December 4th 20, 09:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
RJH

Default December 1 on the California Central Coast

On 3 Dec 2020 at 18:41:03 GMT, "Savageduck"
wrote:

On Dec 3, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

On Tuesday, 1 December 2020 at 23:40:54 UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
It was a beautiful, cloudless, and Sunny day today, and a balmy 72ºF
(22.2ºC). So it was perfect for a drone flight with the Mavic Air 2. This
is Morro Bay, California, flying from Tidelands Park.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-HKqNQ35/0/9f478b3f/1920/DJI_0124_MP4-1920.mp4

Savageduck

Does flying over water ever unnerve you, given the value of the drone?

When I first started I was aware of the risks of flying over water, and a bit
wary as a result. Over time I have become much more confident with both the
tech & capability of the drone, and my slowly improving flying skills.

My scariest flight was #4 from my back deck when I got a bit overconfident,
and lost the signal between the drone and my controller. The auto return to
home kicked in, and I was saved from a crash into the signal blocking hill by
the obstacle avoidance sensors in the drone.

The video linked below demonstrates that scary, near miss incident.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Air-2-Work/i-Jv5psp9/0/4b99207a/1920/NearMiss-1920.mp4

I guess communications is pretty reliable with them now, plus they have
built-in "homing beacons" and the like.

My drone, a DJI Mavic Air 2 has a pretty good proprietary “Occusync 2.0”
controller communications system rather than WiFi. The GPS is very good, so
the “Home point” at take off is established with GPS, and a bottom scanner.
For the linked flight I had 16 satellites locked.

Very interesting - thanks for the post. Impressive to see the software kick in
so effectively. Bit scary at the c.2 minute mark as it appears to come very
close to a tree, but ended well!

--
Cheers, Rob