Old February 13th 13, 04:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Pentax question

On 2013-02-12 15:42:07 -0800, John Turco said:
Canon and Nikon are on top, both now and in the foreseeable future.
Recall what happened to Kodak, though -- nothing lasts forever!

You don't see too many Henderson or Sears motorcycles around today either.

You don't see many photographers still making their own glass plates for
their view camera's either, so what?
You will see lots of veteran and vintage motorcycles at many club days
though, even a couple in my shed :-)
A similar thing applies as to camera manufacturers though, the more popular
ones are easier to get parts for than the obscure ones. Collectors may
prefer the obsure ones simply for their rarity of course. Same applies to
camera's if you don't intend to actually take pictures with them. I'd hardly
buy a new Pentax with the purpose of it becoming a collectors item one day,
but other may I guess.

Trevor.

It seems that the most vital piece of information to come out of this
thread is, that you have a shed.

....and that you missed the point of my comment illustrated by two
obviously restored vintage motorcycles whose manufacturers have long
faded into corporate obscurity. (Yup! Even Sears. Whatever happened to
Roebuck?)
My point could have just as easily been illustrated by saying, you
don't see too many Blair Camera Co. Cincinnati Reversible Back Cameras
now-a-days, and adding an image to punctuate.
http://piercevaubel.com/cam/images/b...8rb6x8a337.jpg

Getting back to Pentax, my Spotmatic has been gone for some 40+ years
now, but my weathered, and battered K1000 is still very functional. I
just haven't been able to kill that thing.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1295663/FileChute/K1000.jpg

Savageduck