Old October 21st 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
murrayatuptowngallery

Default Gundlach 5x7 Rapid Symmetrical W.A.

Hello:

I just picked up a Gundlach 5x7 Rapid Symmetrical W.A. lens, roughly
8" f.l. (don't have it in my hands yet).

The Rapid/Symmetrical names sound like a Rapid Rectilinear type, then
I read that Gundlach had an extra element modification to the RR to
get around a patent, so is it possible it might be 6 element rather
than 4?

Then I read that some of the Gundlach lenses had disappointing
centration. 6 vs 4 elements might make this worse?

Finally, the seller said 'it ain't no Wide Angle'.

From this vintage, did W.A. mean anything else, or was that a relative

term that doesn't amount to wide angle these days? (Some older wide
angles were really wide, so I'm confused).

Is it a dog, worse than a dog, or a dog that only knows one trick?

Thank you

Murray