Old September 26th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Todd H.

Default Amateur wedding photos - how to meter?

Randall Ainsworth writes:

In article , Todd H. wrote:

Yer probably right. But somehow I keep getting hired without doing
any advertising, so I guess I'm stuck with skills that have gotten me
this far. If only I could shake these apparently happy customers.
Let's keep it our little secret though Randy. :-)

I really think that the photojournalism thing is a fad and will not
endure. For many, it's a coverup for lack of talent.

I guess I was shooting before it became a fad. How would you define
this photojournalistic style?

I'm still shootin all the posed crap people want certainly, but during
the ceremony, I'm grabbing moments left and right, and same at the
reception. Having come from sports and event photography for papers
and yearbooks in my earliest days it's always how I've approached
em. I guess. My clients know straight up if they want someone
showing up with location lighting and a backdrop doing a lot of formal
portraits, I'm not their guy. But then again, they're not payin me
$2000+ for a location fee, and having to pay $5-$10 a frame for any
and all prints on the back end.

****, if only the 300D were as predictably reliable a performer as my
Peavey axes, I wouldn't be grinding the E-TTL axe whenever the subject
comes up.

I've never been a fan of anything Peavey. I have a Strat, Jazz bass, a
cheap Yamaha acoustic, a 6-string banjo, and a 6/12 doubleneck. The
Strat goes through a Mesa Boogie, the banjo and acoustic through a
Marshall acoustic amp, and the bass through a Fender bass head/bin.

You gotta dump the 70's mindset. You won't find a Peavey bass that
hums like those overrated but ubuiquitous Fender Jazz's. Hell my
Foundation sounds a lot better than a Jazz, and the Cirrus won't even
talk to you if you compare it to a Jazz.

But hell I don't wanna talk anyone out of dissin Peavey actually,
because then the bargains on resale will be mine all mine on Ebay.
:-) But next time you have a chance, actually play a Peavey bass.
I'm sure someone will buy your 60Hz hum-mesister Jazz after you
replace it.

Got any flash photography galleries to share in a wedding bent to
enlighten us further?

I stopped doing weddings in 1995 and hope to never do another. I
used 2 lights - Norman portable for a long time and Photogenic
AC-powered lights in the later years.

Yeah, that's the crap I never wanted to deal with on location, and if
folks are expecting it I bid them well to go elsewhere and spend 4x.
:-)

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.