Old December 28th 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
isw

Default "Assigning" vs. "Matching" a color profile

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article ], isw
wrote:

This is on a Mac, BTW.

I have a large number of scanned slides bearing a color profile
(assigned by the scanner) that gives iPhoto fits; I'd like to change it.

iphoto does weird things with colour profiles. use something else if
possible.

Not possible. Plus, what I've been able to understand from reading about
iPhoto and profiles is that honoring profiles is a *good* thing for
color accuracy.

what profile did the scanner give it?

Microtek 4800 Scanner / Positive Film / Present

Why that annoys iPhoto I don't know, but the result is that when I
import an image bearing that profile, the thumbnail winds up being a
black rectangle. I suppose it's possible that there's some aspect of
that profile that is "wrong" somehow, but I have no way to fix it, so
just eliminating it seems like a good solution.

Using ColorSync, I can "assign" a different profile, or I can "match" to
a different profile, but I do not understand which I should do, or (more
importantly) what the difference is between the two. Further, I don't
know which profile I should move to: "Generic RGB"; "sRGB"; or what? The
images are my own, and will not be displayed on the web. I'd like to
keep them at the highest possible "accuracy" (whatever that means).

assign means just that, you are assigning a profile to an image, which
says 'this data is in profile z.' the data is not changed, it just
tells the system how to interpret the data. if you assign a different
profile, your image will look different.

Ah. Then using "assign" to get rid of the problematical profile sounds
like a mistake, since the result would be that the profile would be
"lying" about the image. I'd guess you'd use "assign" if you knew what
an image's profile *should* be, but that's not what was in the metadata.

match is probably the same as what photoshop calls convert to, and it
means it will take the existing data and convert that data to a new
profile, using the assigned profile as a source profile, if any. the
data will be changed and the image should look roughly the same,
subject to any limitations in the destination profile.

So if I do not want to change the appearance but I *do* want to change
the profile, "match" sounds like the way to go.

Now, what is a good profile to move to, assuming I want the widest
reasonable color gamut on CRT or flat-panel displays but NOT involving
the web or browsers? (What I mean is, showing my images to friends and
relatives on a computer or digital TV).

I *think* I understand that sRGB is a rather limited gamut, for example.
What about ProPhoto? Using colorSync Utility, it seems to be nearly the
only gamut that's larger than the scanner's.

Isaac