Old December 28th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
isw

Default "Assigning" vs. "Matching" a color profile

This is on a Mac, BTW.

I have a large number of scanned slides bearing a color profile
(assigned by the scanner) that gives iPhoto fits; I'd like to change it.

Using ColorSync, I can "assign" a different profile, or I can "match" to
a different profile, but I do not understand which I should do, or (more
importantly) what the difference is between the two. Further, I don't
know which profile I should move to: "Generic RGB"; "sRGB"; or what? The
images are my own, and will not be displayed on the web. I'd like to
keep them at the highest possible "accuracy" (whatever that means).

A whole lot of googling has produced many descriptions of *how* to do
these things, but nothing on *why* or *which*.

Can anybody shed some light, please?

Isaac