Old April 5th 05, 03:35 AM
Jim

"Clyde Torres" wrote in message
. ..
Okay, folks, my sister-in-law has politely asked me to ship her a zoom

lens
in the range of 70-200 for the Nikon D70 that she currently has in Brazil.
Choosing B&H Photo as a possible vendor, I have located the following
lenses:

Zoom Telephoto 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 AIS Manual Focus Lens, Imported,
$114.95
Zoom Telephoto 70-210 f/4.5-5.6 AIS Manual Focus Lens, USA, $139.95

Very limited usefulness on a D70. Don't buy.
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF

Autofocus
Lens, Imported, $1,449.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF

Autofocus
Lens, USA, $1,599.95, after rebate $1,449.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF

Autofocus
Lens, Light Grey, Imported $1,469.95 (back ordered)
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS ED-IF

Autofocus
Lens, Light Grey, USA $1,649.95 (back ordered)
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Autofocus

Lens,
Imported, $1,229.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED Atofocus

Lens,
USA, $1,429.95, after rebate $1,329.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens,
black, Imported, out of stock, $99.95
Zoom Telephoto AF VR Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Autofocus Lens,
black, USA, $129.95

These two lenses don't have a good reputation. All I know is what I read
though.
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens,
Imported, $279.95
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens,

USA,
$299.95, after rebate $249.95

These two lenses have a good reputation.
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Autofocus Lens,
Imported, $799.95
Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Autofocus Lens, USA,
$899.95, after rebate $799.95

These two lenses have been outstanding since they were first introduced a
long time ago.

Can a Nikon expert please tell me the relative merits of these lenses as
compared to one another? I am doing my own research, but I'd like to hear
some real world opinions on these lenses. In particular, I would like to
know why a light grey lens commands more money and is back ordered than

the
same lens in black, or is it really the same lens? What are the G lenses?

The difference between the black and light grey is the color. Light grey
looks better and does not get quite so hot.
G lenses have no mechanical diaphragm (sp?).
I owned the D70 but gave it to my relative right before she left for

Brazil
on an assignment; therefore, I didn't get to read the owner's manual to

see
what the D70 is compatible with.

Every AF lens will work quite well.

When I first talked to her about this, she wanted the Telephoto AF Micro
Nikkor 105mm f/2.8D lens, but after I mentioned the 70-200mm f/2.8D G-AFS

ED
IF black lens, she decided that it would be a more versatile lens and

agreed
with me.

Not if she reallly wants to make macro shots.
By the way, she might be able to get warranty service on the grey market
lenses in Brasil. It is highly unlike that any of these lenses will need
repair.

Jim