Old March 26th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Warm tone papers and developers

"Craig Schroeder" wrote in message
I like the tones I get on warmtone and neutral tone papers
with
Ryuji's DS-14. There's additional info that's good
reading at:

http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/pr...recommend.html

I gives a nice warm touch to neutral papers and I like the
tones it
brings out on warmtone Ilford, too.

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 14:43:48 -0500, "Lew"
wrote:

The instruction sheets for the two papers I'll be trying
(Arista & Forte)
recommend Dektol, why not a warm tone developer (like Agfa
120)? Also, I
goofed and mixed the120 with sodium, not potassium
carbonate. Will this
make a big difference?
-LS

Craig Schroeder
craig nospam craigschroeder com

A couple of notes: The Agfa 120 formula shown on Ryuji's
site is an old one found in European Agfa literature, it is
not the same as Agfa/Ansco 120 as found in most books. The
old formula is:

Brown Tone Formula No.120
Stock Solution:
Water 1.0 liter
Hydroquinone 24.0 grams
Sodium Sulphite, anydrous 60.0 grams
Potassium Carbonate 80.0 grams
Potassium Bromide 2.0 grams

The instructions show dilutions from 1 part stock to 2
parts water to 1 part stock to 8 parts water with
recommended exposure increases and development times for
various Agfa papers of the time.
It is curious that the formula shows the hydroquinone
being dissolved before the Sulfite. This makes sense for
Metol because Metol will not dissolve in a strong solution
of sulfite but here, I think one would do better to dissolve
the sulfite first.
I have no idea how practical this formula is for current
materials.

Another Agfa developer which is similar to the above but
is found in American literature is:

Agfa 110 Direct Brown Black Paper Developer
Water (at 125F or 52C) 750.0 ml
Hydroquinone 22.5 grams
Sodium Sulfite, dessicated 57.0 grams
Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated 57.0 grams
Potassium Bromide 2.75 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

For use dilute one part stock with 5 parts water.
Give prints 3 to 4 times normal exposure and develop for 5
to 7 minutes at 68F

Ryuji is a very knowledgible chemist so I his formulas
are certainly worth trying out.

A further note: I gave the formula for Agfa 106 and stated
it was similar to Kodak D-52/Selectol but at about half
strength. I overlooked Agfa formula 135 which is essentially
identical to D-52, it is shown below:

Agfa 135 Warm Tone Developer
Water (125F or 52C) 750.0 ml
Metol 1.6 grams
Sodium Sulfite 24.0 grams
Hydroquinone 6.6 grams
Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated 24.0 grams
Potassium Bromide 2.8 grams
Water to make 1.0 liter

For use dilute 1 part stock with 1 part water.
To increase warmth increase bromide up to double the amount
shown in the formula.

I can not find Agfa 123 in my collection.

Another European Agfa formula that may be of some
interest is NO.122. This, like Agfa 115, which I posted
before, is a Glycin and Hydroquinone developer but the
proportions are different.

Agfa No.122 Brown Tone Developer
Water 1.0 liter
Sodium Sulphite, anhydrous 27.5 grams
Glycin 5.0 grams
Hydroquinone 10.0 grams
Potassium Carbonate 50.0 grams
Potassium Bromide 5.0 grams

Less Bromide makes tones browner, more Bromide makes tones
redder.
Dilution instructions state that the developer should be
used undiluted with normal print exposure and about 1.5
minutes development time for warm black tones on warm tone
paper. Dilution can be increased up to 1 to 8 for reddish
tones. At this dilution papers require 10 times normal
exposure and development time is about 12 minutes.
Again, I have no idea of how practical this formula is for
modern materials. If anyone tries it please let me know.
The source booklet was printed in Berlin c.1936. Internal
evidence, such as the use of the term "dish" for a tray, my
guess is that it was intended for England.

--
---
Richard Knoppow