Old May 26th 17, 02:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Is Your Browser Color Managed?

On 5/25/2017 8:07 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

As I said, the article is pointing
out that *even with color management and use of
profiles* there will be differences in display between
browsers. He even shows a sample image, illustrating
his main point, that you just can't control what other
people see.

only if the browsers aren't colour managed.

And browsers are just one factor.
You're applying the logic of calibrating hardware
to the vagaries of software.

browsers are software. it could be an image viewer, photo editor or
some other app. doesn't matter.

Yes, you can use
color management to coordinate your printer with
your monitor.

you can, but that's a bad idea and not how it should be done.

it also indicates that you don't understand colour management.

But you cannot, no matter how hard
you try, control what other people see when they
view your photo.

while you can't 'control' anything (nor was that ever a goal), you
absolutely can ensure that an image is visually consistent across
multiple devices.

True

Even if you insisted that all recipients calibrate
their hardware before they can view your images,
which obviously wouldn't be realistic, you still can't
be sure of what they'll see.

wrong.

See below

(And that, of course, still
doesn't take into account variations in color perception
between people. I'm, only pointing out software
differences here, which is a relatively small part of
the equation.)

people perceive colours in the same way.

if someone says they see bright red, another person will also see
bright red, not azure, lemon, russet or grey.

Individual perceptions of color may vary from one individual to another,
just as taste, and hearing do.
http://www.livescience.com/21275-color-red-blue-scientists.html

They looked different, and it wasn't a color issue.
I can't explain it. The only thing I can think of is
that maybe Firefox is using its own graphics libraries
and, for some reason, adjusting display. Normally
software would be sending image pixel values to
the screen using the Windows GDI library. There
shouldn't be any difference. A pixel is a pixel.

one app is colour managed and the other isn't. simple as that.

add in your lack of understanding of colour management and you end up
with a complete mess.

Maybe it's me,

it is.

but anyone on Windows can test
this easily enough. You could download his
DSF4740-E.jpg and see what you think. Maybe
they'll look exactly the same to you. But the
saturation and sharpness clearly look different
to me. You're not curious to know whether different
software might convey such differences? (Probably
having nothing to do with color management.)

a difference in sharpness is due to a ****ty resizing algorithm in one
(possibly both) of the apps.

saturation is a colour management issue.

--
PeterN