Old August 19th 09, 12:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jeff R.

Default Learning to think in Black and White

Fotoguy wrote:

If you really want to learn to "see" in b&w, take a year off from
digital for a total immersion course: shoot nothing but b&w film,
develop it yourself, and print with an enlarger on real photographic
paper. Shoot lots of different b&w films, do lots of development
tests with many different film developers, learn how to use Contrast
Filters, and use lots of different photo papers while searching for
your "style." And read at least one good book on The Zone System. The
entire process will help you immensely with your digital b&w
work, and you'll be a much better photographer, too.

Sentimental claptrap.

That's all I did for decades, and it bears no relation to the stuff I do now
with digital.

It's like saying you need to know how to break in a horse in order to ride a
motorcycle.

--
Jeff R.