Old January 16th 18, 05:46 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Mayayana

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

"Susan Bugher" wrote

| Yahbut all three apps have these tasks in common: tell a printer the
| segments of an image file you want it to print, what scale/size you want
| the segments printed at and where you want them to be placed on the
| printed pages. That's all PosteRazor does, The Rasterbator and Posteriza
| add some bells and whiistles (those are optional extras in Posteriza.)

I don't have a preference with these. I doubt
I'll ever use any of them. But for people who may
be interested it's worth clarifying the difference.

I didn't try Posteriza.
PosteRazor and RasterBator, despite having equally
annoying names, are very different. I made quick
samples:

www.jsware.net/Files2/RazorRose.jpg (PosteRazor)

www.jsware.net/Files2/RasterRose.jpg (Rasterbator)

As you can see, they do very different jobs. Both
are designed to allow you to print out multiple pages,
line those up, and end up with a giant image. Both
are fairly limitd in that, well, who really wants to
paste together a bunch of printer sheets to make
a picture?

PosteRazor does it by simply enlarging each pixel.
It doesn't seem to resample. Just enlarges each
pixel into a rectangle. So a wall-sized image
might be made of squares 1/4"x 1/4", 1x1 or even
3x3 inches. One might use that to create a 6'x6'
picture of a superhero on the living room wall for
a tragically overindulged child. Or maybe a giant
mural of your favorite vacation retreat.

Rasterbator doesn't do accurate, detailed enlarging.
It does a stylized, quasi-pointilistic rendering. You
can choose the circle size to get different effects.
Where would you use that? Maybe at a retirement
party, to put up a giant, stylized image of the
retiree. Not a giant photo but rather something that
looks more like a painting.