Old January 16th 18, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher

Default Make 12x18" signs at home on 8.5x11" B&W laser printer

On 1/15/2018 10:41 AM, Eco Clean wrote:
- Eco Clean wrote:

Thank you very much for your suggestions. 1) Posterrazor is a keeper
2) Rasterbator is second fiddle to Posterazor
3) Posterizia might work for some people

I have to take issue with your assessment. IMO PosteRazor and Posteriza
are both good and both are better than The Rasterbator.

All three apps are no-install - they need ONLY the .exe files to work -
they don't need the install.exe versions (If they have one).

PosteRazor is the easiest to use right out of the box.

Posteriza has more of a learning curve than the other two but it also
offers more options and offers the most help to the program user - image
previews when choosing a file and a preview of the entire image file
with the print divisions shown when all options have been selected. I
found it easy to use and fast once I'd used it a few times. It was a bit
glitchy when many many changes were made while learning to use it.

Posteriza allows you to add text and/or a frame to the image - the other
two apps do not. PosteRazor and The Rasterbator package their results in
PDF files. Posteriza does NOT create a PDF file that needs to be opened
by another program before you can print the pieces of your image. (I
regard that as a BIG plus.)

A Posteriza file (smallest file & not even needed to print the pieces)
includes the path to the image file. A PosteRazor file (largest file)
includes the original image file in its PDF. A "The Rasterbator" file
(size varies) includes a REVISED version of the image file in its PDF -
that's what it's creating when it "rasterbates".

Eco Clean, for exact size of pieces, I think I'd next try chopping an
image file up in PosteRazor and exporting the pieces from the PDF file
as separate image files that could be printed to exact size in
Irfanview. That would avoid all the fiddling around with units. . .

re the plan below - I shudder to think of creating stencils with an
exacto knive - wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more work than I would want to
contemplate - and then spray pointing - arghhhhhhhhhhh - glad it's you
and not me that will be doing the actual creation of the signs.

Here's the current plan because we decided recently to stick with metal
signs for the longevity in high wind conditions.

The pragmatic approach we'll take is the following, since we have strong
winds, rain, and they need to last a long time.

1) We will design with PowerPoint because we don't see (yet) how the
complexity of a vector-graphics program such as Inkscape adds any value
when it can't tile so the tiler is what's rendering the images, and even
then, the X-acto knife is the final vector-graphics renderer.

2) PowerPoint will save to an image which we will tile using Susan's
suggested Posterazor which easily creates a 4-page PDF so that we don't
have to worry about guessing how to print all four corners of the desired
size as we would have to do with Irfanview or LibreOffice tiling
procedures.

3) Those four tiles will be printed to laser-hardened transparencies, and
taped together to make a stencil after cutting out with an X-acto knife and
then spray painting red on white and maybe adding a clear coat of some sort
on the outside. (Vinyl letters would be nice but at 50 cents each letter,
the cost is astronomical compared to spray paint.)

The hardest part likely will be the spray painting to get crisp edges.

Sisan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware (using WinXP-SP2, Win7professional-32 bit)
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.pricelesswarehome.org