Old August 30th 12, 03:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Photoshop Elements sale: $59 Aug 28 only

On 2012-08-29 19:16:00 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 18:29:36 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-08-29 18:10:35 -0700, tony cooper said:

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:03:23 -0700, Savageduck

On 2012-08-29 15:46:38 -0700, "Russell D." said:

On 08/28/2012 05:43 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
I received an advert via e-mail that Elements 10 is $40 off.

Code is: ELEMENTSDEAL (online or call center).

US and Canada (except Quebec for reasons that escape me).

Sorry this is so late - just opened my mail;

GIMP is still free.

Free, and after making the comparison with PS, it still sits unused on
my computer.
GIMP does a reasonable job for those who deny the functionality of
CS5/6, or those who insist of "free". You do get what you pay for.
After making the basic comparison and saying that they are both capable
of editing and adjusting image files, there is no contest. CS3/4/5/6
are all far superior to GIMP.

...but GIMP is "free".

I don't know how you can really compare Photoshop with GIMP.

You can't.

It's horses for courses.

Yup!

Anyone who has used both will tell you that GIMP is extremely limited
compared to Photoshop, but that's only a problem if you want to go
beyond the basic edits. Even GIMP is over-kill for some people.

Undoubtably.

Photoshop only becomes superior to GIMP when the user wants to
progress to more than GIMP can do.

No. It has always been superior. The tools have been there regardless
of the user's ability to deal with the program.

That's true, but I think you're ignoring the meaning here. If the
user isn't aware of what the tool can do, and doesn't get training on
the use of the tool, it's as if the tool isn't there.

I think that if some malware went
out to all Photoshop users that crippled every function in Photoshop
that is not present in GIMP, that 90-some percent of the users would
be able to do exactly what they're doing now. (Professionals
excluded)

The same can be said for dslrs. Sneak in and superglue the cameras to
the AUTO setting and a majority of users would be producing the same
output they were when using A,S,P, and M...if they ever did.

Unlikely what ifs.

I thought you might have got my point.

I'm not talking about you, Duck. You're in the 10% because you
understand and use the tools in Photoshop.

I have made my attempt at GIMP and found it lacking for me. Others
might find it adequate, but those who tout it as a PS replacement are
delusional. There is no comparison.

It's a replacement for the people who use just the tools in Photoshop
that are present in GIMP. There are an awful lot of people in that
group. That's my point.

...but it can edit and adjust image files, and most importantly for
many, it is free, and open source for the Linux crowd.

...and the last time I used "Auto" on a DSLR was the first week I had
my D70 some time in 2004.

Again, this isn't about you.

OK! OK! I get it. I was just pushing the envelope a little bit.

Of course my D300S doesn't have an "Auto" mode, Just "P", "A", "S", &
"M", and those are selected via the rear command wheel.

....and not one "scene" mode to be found anywhere.

Savageduck