Old November 1st 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Ken Hart1

Default A New 8x10 Field-Camera.

"John J" wrote in message
m...
Keith Tapscott. wrote:
http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html

The ABS structure disturbs me. I'd rather see machined metal - even
aluminum of the proper grade would be better.

Overpriced, as-is.

Many of us can make the same more economically.

As for the ABS construction, I'm not sure. It may be better in that it would
have some flexibility in the face of hard knocks. On the other hand, that
flexibility may make it difficult to keep in alignment over time.

What I find interesting is the bellows extension mechanism: a telescoping
affair rather than the geared bed or rail. That seems like a system designed
for problems as each section can work loose from the next.

Any comments on the focusing screen? "The focusing screen is a one piece
acrylic screen with etched surface on one side and Fresnel on the other,
with a separate cover glass with grid pattern." (quoted from the above
website)