Old November 9th 17, 05:24 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_7_]

Default Timestamp confusion

On 11/9/2017 7:02 AM, Terry Pinnell wrote:
Terry Pinnell wrote:

I'm sorting out holiday photos (JPG) and movies (MOV) from Italy in May.
Mainly from my iPhone 6S+. As I use these for making videos, I'm keen to
get their rough roughly correct. But I'm confused by some apparent
contradictions about timestamps. In an attempt to resolve these, amongst
other things I'm looking at the iPhone's EXIF data. Here's an example of
where I hit a snag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5j6luq2xtg...GPS-1.jpg?dl=0

That 'DateTimeOriginal' of 11:28 seems reliable. Not only is it obtained
directly from the iPhone's Date/Time setting (which was correct
throughout the holiday) but a photo of a church clock the day before was
accurate within a minute or so.

But this was Italy in 'summer time'. So local Italy time should be two
hours ahead of GMT, yes? Therefore why is the GPS Timestamp 10:28
instead of 09:28?

Here's a similar issue for an MOV video clip,, using MediaInfo for my
detective work:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5yn8kjs3ba...ion-2.jpg?dl=0

Needless to say, I should have taken photos of my watch or iPhone screen
more often - will do so in future!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Alternatively, does anyone have any photos taken in 'summer' time on an
iPhone in a time zone ahead of UK, such as mainland Europe etc? If so,
can you advise what these two EXIF fields say please?
Date TimeOriginal
GPS Date Timestamp

That might help me fathom why my iPhone shows these as only differing by
one hour instead of two. My wife's Sony Xperia (Android OS) does show
two.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

If you contact Apple support, or go to an Apple store they will give you
the answer. I found Apple support to be helpful. Yes I do pay for it.
Before I had Apple Care, I had an issue on my iPhone that the folks at
an Apple store were only to glad to help me with.

--
PeterN