Old September 9th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
YD

Default AT&T Usenet Netnews Service Shutting Down

Late at night, by candle light, "Richard Knoppow"
penned this immortal opus:

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in
message ...

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote in
message ...
Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
wrote in message
Please note that on or around July 15, 2009, AT&T will
no longer be
offering access to the Usenet netnews service. If you
wish to continue
reading Usenet newsgroups, access is available through
third-party
vendors.

Posted only internally to AT&T Usenet Servers.

Being an AT&T customer and a reader of various
newgroups, please provide some information of such
third-party vendors. Thank you.
I do not know about AT&T, but Verizon cut off all Usenet
except for the "big 8" some time ago. They did not
reduce the rates to reflect the reduction in service. I
bet they did not reduce your rates to compensate for
removing a service that could be reasonably expected in
a standard ISP contract.

Here is one alternate provider. I have not used them,
but I may.

http://newsguy.com/overview.htm

Well, Verizon is cutting off all Usenet at the end of
this month.
As usual, they are not cutting their rates for this
reduction in service.

.
Just for the record - I am now using the services of
eternal-september, previously known - I believe - as
Mozzarella.

Earthlink (Netcom) some time ago farmed out Usenet to
something called Demonews. This works pretty well. Usenet
service had been awful for years on Earthlink related
companies. As far as reducing services and keeping the rates
the same its just another way for business to cheat its
customers.

I'm using Forté's usenet service
(http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php), and have no complaints. At
2.95 for 12 gigs/mo it's a steal.