Old January 22nd 18, 04:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David B.[_2_]

Default Renovation of a photograph

On 21/01/2018 21:30, Ken Hart wrote:
On 01/21/2018 01:10 PM, David B. wrote:
Hi

My elderly sister managed to send me a photograph today of our
grandfather. It was taken before he was killed during the first World
War.

Here is a copy of same:-Â* https://imgur.com/a/7XRdW

How best can the image be improved?

First, scan it with a flatbed scanner rather than photographing it, so
you won't have the shadows.
Second, those creases may show up less depending on which way you turn
the photo in the scanner, so try four scans rotating the photo a
quarter-turn for each one. Pick the best.
Third, I've seen much worse photos than this one. You are lucky to have
one that has held up so well. Convert it to black and white, increase
the contrast just a bit, and use cloning to get rid of the creases. Or
just leave it as is- it's an old photo, let it look old.
Finally, make (or have made) good quality prints for both you and your
sister. Go to an art supply store and get a low-acid envelope (or other
container) for the original, and store it someplace safe for your
grandchildren.

I appreciate your comments, Ken.

Thanks. :-)