Old August 30th 04, 06:15 PM
James Cassatt

The major issue here is not resolution, but grain aliasing. You can
do a google search on the subject and find a lot of hits. If I
remember correctly, when the scanning resolution is about the same as
the grain size, the grain is emphasized. I had that problem while
scanning at 2400 dpi. For that reason my digital pictures at 6
megapixels from my drebel are much better than scanned nagatives, even
though the result is a 8 megapixel image.

Monte Castleman wrote in message ink.net...
I currently scan Fuji Super HG or Agfa (whatever the Walgreens stuff is)
ISO 200 negatives on a 2400 dpi scanner. Would there be any benefit to
using a higher dpi scanner? What about if I were to use something
like Fuji Reala 100? I normally use a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens, so the
image isn't degraded by a cheap kit zoom.

Put another way, what's the approximate dpi for reasonably priced ISO
100 and 200 negative films.