Old February 3rd 04, 11:54 PM
JCPERE

Default Burke & James solar for 5x7??

(CBlood59)

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this enlarger?

Well you have to have the 5x7 model. I have a 5x7 Production Solarmatic. This
model holds the head in a sort of spring loaded lever design instead of just
sliding along the vertical post. Very easy to move the head and lock in place.

I found the normal diffusion head to be very hot. Mine has the double
diffusion glass with one piece having more density toward the center to help
with the hot spot. Didn't take me long to replace this with an Aristo cold
light. They also made a condenser model the 57HC but I've never seen one.

A good basic enlarger but nothing special. But probably (along with the
Elwood) the cheapest used 5x7 enlarger around. I still have mine but now use
an 8x10 Elwood for my main large format enlarger. AFAIK Solar and Elwood had
nothing to do with each other.

Chuck