Old January 2nd 06, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default enlarger question

Only thing I would disagree with is a Democracy gets corrupt when the peopel
get lazy and selfish.

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
Gunnar Mallon spake thus:

Hi all,

we have a couple of very bad enlargers in our university society
darkroom. i am looking to buy new gear now. what would you say is more
important lenses or enlarger? how does the enlarger matter? is it not
just a bit of metal that passes light through the negative onto the lens?

I'll take a crack at this and say the lens is most important.

As you suspect, the enlarger is basically just several hunks o'metal that
support the lens, negative, lamp, condenser, etc., and hold them in
alignment. Nothing rocket-science about it: basically, the elements in the
optical path (light, condenser, film and lens) need to be in a straight
line with the components aligned perpendicularly to the light path.

So what a guy would want is a solidly-constructed unit which can be
accurately aligned. Most enlargers that are above the El Cheapo class
fulfill these basic requirements. And of course, with the Great Takeover
of Digital Photography, enlargers are much cheaper and easier to acquire.

--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.