Old December 8th 04, 09:17 PM
Todd H.

"David J Taylor" writes:

I must confess that I don't agree with the statement, though.

It's not universal that's for sure.

For the money, for doing available light and snapshot work, you can do
a lot better with a P/S 4Mp digicam that comes with a nice f/2.0 lens
(my Canon G2 comes to mind) than you can with my digital Rebel and
it's kit lens which is several stops slower, and hence not as well
tuned to available light photography. There are scenes my G2 shoots
much better than my Rebel.

To get an f/2.0 zoom on my Rebel would cost me a ****load while, it's
already there on my G2 that I paid $300 or so for.

The big selling points of an SLR are the optical viewfinder and the
focusing assurances you get from that, a marked reduction in shutter
lag, interchangeable lenses (though this adds cost to take advantage
of), and (in comparison to many P/S's that lack hotshoes, the ability
to step up to a real flash unit.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.