Old February 18th 04, 06:28 PM
Bill Tuthill

Default Kodak discontinues T400CN and Portra 400UC, 400BW; introduces Ultra Color 100, 400, and BW400CN; improves Porta 800

DM wrote:
*sigh* I've given up on Kodak. Just when you get used to the characteristics
of a particular film, they discontinue it and bring out something else,
which is typically no improvement over the earlier product.

Ektachrome 100G and Portra 400UC were significant improvements over earlier
products that they replaced (if you think of 400UC as replacing Supra).

Roy wrote:

Interesting...the new Ultra Color 100 has a Print Grain Index of 31 while
their existing High Definition 200 has a Print Grain Index of 32...not much
of a difference considering the speed difference. The former Royal Gold 100
had a Print Grain Index of 28...

Kodak's amateur films (and HD200 is billed as an amateur film in the USA)
generally have PGI scores about 10-20% lower than they should, when compared
to the PGI of professional films. So this might be 31 versus 35-38. I found
HD200 very grainy for green, less so for blue, with commendably fine grained
reds, yellows, and skin tones. But it can't touch Reala.