Old September 8th 17, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.mac.apps,alt.comp.os.windows-10,rec.photo.digital
Your Name[_2_]

Default Technical & legal background using copyrighted fonts in custom road signs in PowerPoint

On 2017-09-08 19:21:06 +0000, Andre G. Isaak said:
In article ,
Chaya Eve wrote:

Can you help with technical and legal background information on how to use
a True-Type copyrighted font correctly with laypeople and printers?

Two areas of concern where I ask advice based on your experience:
1. Technical (how do I embed the TT font in PowerPoint 2007?)
2. Legal (what am I supposed to do for copyright stuff?)

I can't answer the first. The second depends entirely on the end-user
license agreement of the font in question. Some allow embedding; others
do not.

In terms of just embedding fonts, you can sometimes get around that by
changing the text using those fonts to outlines (e.g. in Adobe
Illustrator or InDesign) or creating a bitmap image of the text (e.g.
in Adobe Photoshop or any graphics appliction). InDesign specifically
warns you that you can't embed some fonts when trying to create a PDF
using them.

BUT it may still be against the font's license agreement to do even
that. As always, you have to carefully read all the smallprint, but the
problem is that it's often buried in so much legalese that it's
near-impossible for any normal person to understand it. :-\

I don't know, but creating a bitmap image of the text may be the only
way to "embed" the font into a PowerPoint presentation. It was
certainly the only way to add text using fancy fonts to webpages before
"web fonts" came along.