Old May 9th 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
K W Hart

Default Safelight bulbs??

Will the series diode work with a compact fluorescent lamp? I think either
the clipped sine wave or the decereased voltage might not let the bulb work
Although the clipped sine wave might not be a problem..

"Murray" wrote in message
A 1 amp diode in series with the bulb will reduce the wattage
(but not by half). Try a 1N4004. 400V @ 1amp. About 10c or less.
Murray

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Richard Knoppow wrote:

AKA Beehive lamp. Get the smallest wattage compact fluorescent lamp you
can obtain and use some layers of plain writing paper over the filter or
inside against the filter. The compact fluoresent lamps have some after
glow but that should not be a problem for a safelight. I don't think they
run hot enough to cause problems with the paper.

Thanks, and to everyone who suggested something. I went to another
lighting
store today and found a bunch of GE 15 watt bulbs (made in Hungary).I
bought
six, so I am set for a long time.

I'm still thinking about the other possibilites as I need more
safelights,
and I doubt that there more Beehive lamps around (here).

Geoff.