Old May 9th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Murray

Default Safelight bulbs??

A 1 amp diode in series with the bulb will reduce the wattage
(but not by half). Try a 1N4004. 400V @ 1amp. About 10c or less.
Murray

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

Richard Knoppow wrote:

AKA Beehive lamp. Get the smallest wattage compact
fluorescent lamp you can obtain and use some layers of plain
writing paper over the filter or inside against the filter.
The compact fluoresent lamps have some after glow but that
should not be a problem for a safelight. I don't think they
run hot enough to cause problems with the paper.

Thanks, and to everyone who suggested something. I went to another lighting
store today and found a bunch of GE 15 watt bulbs (made in Hungary).I bought
six, so I am set for a long time.

I'm still thinking about the other possibilites as I need more safelights,
and I doubt that there more Beehive lamps around (here).

Geoff.