Old May 6th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Richard Knoppow

Default Safelight bulbs??

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote in message
Richard Knoppow wrote:

AKA Beehive lamp. Get the smallest wattage compact
fluorescent lamp you can obtain and use some layers of
plain
writing paper over the filter or inside against the
filter.
The compact fluoresent lamps have some after glow but
that
should not be a problem for a safelight. I don't think
they
run hot enough to cause problems with the paper.

Thanks, and to everyone who suggested something. I went to
another lighting
store today and found a bunch of GE 15 watt bulbs (made in
Hungary).I bought
six, so I am set for a long time.

I'm still thinking about the other possibilites as I need
more safelights,
and I doubt that there more Beehive lamps around (here).

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel
N3OWJ/4X1GM

Are you not able to get these thing via eBay, they seem
to turn up pretty frequently there. However, I know you have
to deal with some pretty serious restrictions. I think
Ilford made a similar lamp, they certainly made filters that
fit the Kodak lamps.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles