Old July 3rd 04, 07:40 AM
Stacey

Default Image circle versus stopping down?

Richard Knoppow wrote:

One of the inherent properties of lenses which produce
orthographic images is that the illumination falls off with image
angle. For a "normal" design lens this fall off is approximately
proportional to cos^4 theta where theta is the "half angle" of the
image point. There are designs of lenses which have improved
illumination but these are not better than about cos^3 theta, better,
but there is still fall off. A non-orthograpic lens, like a fish-eye
lens, can have better illumination because the light is more
concentrated near the margins.

What about retro focus wide angle lenses? While not common on LF cameras,
how does that design compare to "normal" wide angle lenses as far as light
fall off? I have noticed almost no light fall off on the 30mm medformat
fisheye and even the regular wide angle SLR lenses don't seem to be as
affected by fall off as some of the wide LF lenses I've used.
--

Stacey