Old June 24th 04, 05:09 PM
Michael C. Smith

Default Canon EF long lens rental Florida US

W wrote in message ...
It is hit or miss at Ding Darling, what time of year are you going. I
also went to Merritt Island near Canaveral and had good luck. I brought
my 500mm this last trip in May and had better luck at Merritt Island.
Ding darling is better in early April. I found that most of the birds
are not fearful, you can get close, and I had good results with my
100-400mm zoom.

I don't know of any place that rents down there though.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the Merritt Island suggestion.

Each lens has advantages (focal length vs. weight) but if you could
only have one additional lens for birding, would you want the
100-400mm or 500mm? (I have a 70-200mm/f2.8.)
--
...Mike Smith . Silver Spring, Maryland, USA

Michael C. Smith wrote:
I'd like to rent a Canon EF long lens to photograph birds at Ding
Darling National Wildlife Refuge, Sanibel Island, Florida, USA (300mm,
400mm, 500mm, or 600mm). I prefer to pick up the lens in Florida
instead of shipping it, as rental fees accumulate during the shipping
period. If you ship the lens overnight, that's at least 2 extra days
of rental (in which case a week-long rental may be more cost
effective).

Does anyone know a shop in southern Florida that rents?

Should no one answer, the following may help someone in the future.

http://www.harmonphoto.com/
Harmon Photo, Ft. Myers, FL doesn't rent

Companies that will rent & ship to your location:

http://www.aperturepro.com/
Aperture Professional, Miami, Florida. Miami is 3.5 hours (per Yahoo)
from from Sanibel.

http://www.carouselstudios.com
Carousel Studios, Miami, FL.

http://www.samyscamerarental.com
Samy's Camera, Los Angeles, California CA.

http://www.adorama.com
Adorama, New York, NY.

http://www.acecam.com/rmcindex.html#Rental
ACECamera manufacturer & rental links; Doug Clifford.

Thanks.