Old December 23rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bill Graham

Default Solar charger can work without sunshine?

"Mark Thomas" wrote in message
woterm wrote:
-*Solar charger*- is convenient for people who usually travel out. But
sometimes I want to ask such question “solar charger can work without
sunshine?” Perhaps it is a stupid question. But I still want to know the
answer. And if they can not work, is it still convenient. You can not
use inside and you can not use in winter. Only without sunshine, it
becomes rubbish. So is it worth for us to use?

Like they said, yes, it will work.. but it may not produce enough power to
be useful. Most devices that you are likely to attach will have a
thereshold voltage/amperage/wattage, and unless the power source delivers
that, they will not operate at all. You need to do some homework, or
explain what you will be doing with it and verify that it will be
sufficient before purchase.

Solar charger is a misnomer.....They are light chargers.....They turn
photons into electrons. The brighter the light (photons per square surface
area per second) the more electrons per second will be the output.....A
cloudy day will still provide some light, but not as much as direct,
unobstructed sunlight. but even a dim electric bulb will induce some
electrons to flow......