Old August 23rd 05, 01:48 AM
pixby

MarkČ wrote:
Rob wrote in message ...

Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional?

I can't justify anything for anyone but myself. You'll have to determine
that.

For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

20D was about $1500 when released.

If you're not already prepared with a list of reasons why the 5D makes sense
for you, then there is a good chance that it doesn't make sense for you now.
It has many features which a lot of us have been wishing for: Spot meter,
full-frame, nearly 13MP, no pesky built-in flash (did you know it has no
flash?), and other features many general shooters don't ever care about.

What you need to do is really try and define your needs, and how those needs
stack up against the abilities of the two bodies. The 5D isn't universally
ahead of the 20D. For example, the 20D can shoot 5 frames per second in
jpeg mode, while the 5D is limited to 3 frames (any mode).

Check it out and do some serious consideration before you plonk down any
amount for either camera.

Mark

I'm sure all of us Aussies fresh from spending $3k on our flaky 20Ds

can now shell out $5k on the day of release just to have a repeat of the
20D's reliability issues and hastily engineered "upgrades" with even
more bugs than the ones they tried to fix. This time with a full frame
sensor and no internal flash! (thank God they saw the light). Just a
case of one up-manship. It doesn't work when your quality control is
designed by monkeys.

I note with interest that this is not a "Professional" camera either,
just one for "Enthusiasts". Canon's way of squirming out of the loose
auto focus ability and it's really poorly designed ETTL II, flash
integration and operating environment requirements which doesn't suit
anyone living west of Ipswich (Queensland Australia) in the summer. At
least it was with the 20D.

So far there are 14 frequently documented problems 20D owners have
discovered with their "state of the art" (s******s) cameras. It took
just 2 days to discover the first 5. I wonder how long it will be before
the first complaint surfaces about this one?

I missed one important "feature" of this new camera which will stuff up
many people's plans to own one - Well all the humans who live north and
south of Paradise's boarder on the equator anyway. Operating Humidity is
maximum 85%. I guess that cuts out all you rain forest nuts. Orchid
growers and beach dwellers in those wonderful tropical islands!

--
Douglas,
You never really make it on the 'net