Old August 23rd 05, 01:39 AM
MarkČ

Rob wrote in message ...
Given the review on
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05...canoneos5d.asp

Do you think the $3299 is worth it compared to about $ 1238 for the
20D now (buydig.com) considering its improvements over the 20D?
I wonder if the 5D will make good picture taking for the
non-professional that much easier than the 20D?

Can you justify it's cost for a non-professional?

I can't justify anything for anyone but myself. You'll have to determine
that.

For me, it's seems
to much difference in cost but that's me. I believe the 20D about one
year ago was around $2000 so it fell about $800 over a year.

20D was about $1500 when released.

If you're not already prepared with a list of reasons why the 5D makes sense
for you, then there is a good chance that it doesn't make sense for you now.
It has many features which a lot of us have been wishing for: Spot meter,
full-frame, nearly 13MP, no pesky built-in flash (did you know it has no
flash?), and other features many general shooters don't ever care about.

What you need to do is really try and define your needs, and how those needs
stack up against the abilities of the two bodies. The 5D isn't universally
ahead of the 20D. For example, the 20D can shoot 5 frames per second in
jpeg mode, while the 5D is limited to 3 frames (any mode).

Check it out and do some serious consideration before you plonk down any
amount for either camera.

Mark