Old March 28th 05, 10:56 PM
Eric Babula

wrote in
ups.com:

I'm totally overwhelmed by the wide range of choices out there and
just need some advice now.

I'm looking for a digital camera with:

1. At least 8x optical zoom
2. At least 5 megapixels
3. "Relatively" compact

I'm used to a Canon PowerShot S110 on the digital side and really
like its portability. My film camera is a Canon Rebel XS (about 10
years old or so).

Image quality is important - I'd give up some of the compactness
for a good quality image. I'm unlikely to do prints greater than
8x10.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm looking for a very similar camera to the one you're looking at. You
didn't mention price.

Some of the options I was looking at:
Nikon Coolpix 8800 (8MP, 10x Optical zoom)
Nikon Coolpix 8700 (8MP, 8x Optical zoom)
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 (5MP, 12x Optical zoom)
Panasonic FZ20 or FZ5, as David Taylor mentioned

Crap! I left my info at home! I can't remember the other ones I was
looking at! Tell ya what. I'm leaving for home now. Gotta run a couple
errands first. When I get home, I'll jump online and let you know the
other ones I was looking at.

FYI - I'm currently leaning to the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5. Seems to
have most eveything I'm looking for.

But, you should do your research, go to a camera shop, ask questions,
and hold various cameras in your hand and play with them. What works for
one might be terrible for another.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA