Old June 26th 09, 03:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers

ASAAR wrote:
On Fri, 26 Jun 2009 03:22:36 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

Intentionally incompetent trimming just makes you look silly.
You've made quite a number of one or two line replies after quoting
hundreds of lines in past posts. Usually only a couple of lines or
a paragraph needed quoting. We both know full well that the bulk of
your quoted lines have not been necessary. To supply newsgroup
newcomers with all of the missing context they'd need (according to
your logic) you'd have to quote the entire previous thread. You're
just stubborn, Ron. But that's not so uncommon in these parts, and
I may have a touch of it myself.

BTW, although I'm not familiar with your newsreader (Thunderbird),
I'll bet that I could use TB and usually do all of the selective
quoting and trimming in a couple of seconds. Anyone with your
computer experience could also do that. As they say, where there's
a will there's a way.

The loss of context is annoying, to me, at least. Threading back
through previous posts is quite time consuming, while skipping to the
end of a post is quite easy, at least with my newsreader.

You're so obtuse at times, Ron. I never said or implied that any
useful context should be trimmed. You also completely missed the
point about quoting entire threads. You've never been so out of
touch as to do that (nor have I ever seen anyone else do that in
newsgroups) so what put into your head the idea of reading back
through previous messages in a thread? The point was simply that
you often quote *much* more material than is necessary to provide
sufficient context for your replies, and if you feel that there's a
need to quote even the unnecessary bits, why not take it to an even
more absurd extreme and provide the supposed context provided by
earlier replies in the thread. You show that you're trying only to
find some way to justify your egregious quoting without taking an
extra second or two to understand what you're replying to.

I admit that I sometimes miss the point of a post, but then that means
that should I snip, I might make the situation even more confused. My
main concern about snipping is that aside from the issue of time, it
often leads to confusion, or even unintentional (I hope) changing of the
meaning of a post.

Perhaps the
real issue is that you want me to make life easy for you, at my expense.

Yes, just as you're expected to stop your car at red lights, even
though it's at your expense (time and wasted gas). You think that
you're making a logical argument, but it's completely unreasonable,
unless perhaps you have some anarchist genes, and have no truck with
the Golden Rule.

I don't complain about other's lack of snipping... So that doesn't apply.

Could I trim as you indicate? Sure, but then I would spend several
times as much time each day in newsgroups as I currently do.

That's nonsense, but after repeating it for many years you may
even believe it by now.

It's a fact. I spend very little time quoting, and replying, but would
have to spend several times as long editing and snipping. Sure,
snipping with a hatchet would be easy, but would likely lose the whole
meaning sometimes.

I have reached an age where I am very aware of the ticking of the clock,
and I would rather have my pleasure than spend my seconds of life
editing newsgroup posts. If you don't like that attitude, by all means
add me to your 'twit list'.

I don't generally use twit lists even though I recognize twits
when I see them.

I have a few entries in my filters that are specifically for
individuals, rather for the spam mongers, but very few as I have a
pretty thick skin.

Life is way too short to waste doing something you don't need to
do, and which gives you no pleasure.

Then why have you been posting so many defensive replies in this
thread? Is writing them more pleasurable than trimming? You've
used that "ticking of the clock" argument for at least 5 years and
you're still here. It'll probably be many more years before the
grim reaper trims your wide butt. Then we'll expect to see "But
most of all, I did it *my* way" engraved on your tombstone.

Is writing them more pleasurable than trimming? DARN RIGHT!
If I have been using that ticking clock for 5 years, that means I have 5
years less left than when I started it, for certain.
It's summer, and I am not working (substitute teacher for fun and
profit), so maybe I will invest a few minutes snipping, but don't bet
the rent on it.