Old June 26th 09, 09:28 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Default How To Detect Snapshooters from Photographers

ASAAR wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:48:38 -0500, "Mean old" Ron Hunter wrote:

We're talking etiquette for one thing. The ten seconds it takes you will
save each of your thousands- or dozens- of readers a second or two.
That's being thoughtful. Courteous. Whatever.

Chances are they have more time that I do. I'm not going to take the
time to do that editing to save readers 1 or two keystrokes. All it
takes me to get to the bottom of a long post is one press on my
multi-button pointing device. Hardly an imposition.

That only shows how inconsiderate and self centered you are. You
*incorrectly* assume that anyone reading your replies also assumes
that your replies are always contained at the very bottom of your
posts. Very often replies from others are scattered between long
quotes, and immediately skipping to the bottom guarantees that most
of the new text contained in the reply will never be seen. As I
hinted in my previous reply, trimming the unnecessary quotes can be
quick and easy if you're bright enough to figure out how to do it,
no matter how limited your newsreader is. Mine may be easier, as it
can quote only the text that's highlighted, but that's not the
point. It's much quicker than scrolling down through hundreds of
lines to make sure that any pertinent parts of your replies aren't
missed, which is the burden you impose on those that are patient
enough to read your replies. Had you been royalty, I suppose your
adopted motto would be "Let them eat cake."

What you describe, interspersed posting, is especially difficult to
snip, and may lead to increased confusion about who said what. I really
hate that posting style, but it is sometimes better to do that than wait
until the end when many points are covered. I won't even consider
trying to snip an interspersed post as a long one can take a LONG time
to edit without losing all meaning.

Perhaps, when the next release of my software comes out (it's supposed
to have the ability to quote only selected text, but then they have
promised that before, so....) I will do more snipping, or maybe not.