Old June 29th 04, 01:05 PM
David Littlewood

Default "Normal" Canon Zoom Lens that's worth a damn?

In article , Karl
Winkler writes
Maybe I'm looking for a ghost... but it seems that Canon does not
really make a "normal" length zoom lens. Here's the quandry:

For a 4-lens setup along with two bodies (EOS 3 and EOS 10D), I have
been considering the following:

17-40mm f/4 L USM (very wide to normal)
??? (normal to short tele)
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 IS USM (long tele)
100 f/2.8 Macro USM (macro and portrait)

In looking at reviews of the two potential choices for the "midrange"
zoom, neither seem to be all that great:

28-105 f/3.5-4.5 II USM
28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

I'd be willing to pay more if they had a really well-corrected L
series slightly faster zoom, say 28-105 f/2.8-4 L USM or even a
constant aperture 28-105 f/4 L USM...

Any idea why they don't? I know, most of you don't work for Canon and
can't speak for them. And the other option, a set of 2 or 3 prime
lenses is I suppose another possibility but seems counter-intuitive
for the setup I'm contemplating.

Any input (other than sarcastic troll nonsense) will be much
appreciated.

Karl,

It would help if you said what kind of work you intend to use the lenses
for. I am slightly mystified as to what you are lacking.

There are some superb "mid range" lenses - the 35 f/1.4, the 50/1.4 and
the 85/1.8 spring to mind. The 100/2.0, 100/2.8 macro, and 135/2.0 are
al superb

If you need a zoom, the 28-70 f/2.8L is superb, and the 28-135 IS is
excellent, though its restricted maximum aperture can be limiting. Some
of the 28-105 versions are also very highly regarded. I agree a slightly
wider range for the 24-70L (and IS) would be very welcome - let's say a
24-105 f/2.8L IS. For all I know they may be working on one.

At the slightly wider end, the 24/3.5 TS-E is a lens I rarely leave home
without.

IMO, the real gap in the Canon range is at the very wide end. £1400 for
the 14mm is very steep (and there is no way I am ever going to waste my
money on another Sigma - I already have a Sigma 14mm which doesn't work
on my 10D). I would like to see a good 12-25mm L Canon for use on the
10D.
--
David Littlewood