Old April 1st 04, 04:40 PM
David J. Littleboy

Default difficulty drum scanning negatives

"Paul Schmidt" wrote:
Gregory W Blank wrote:

What are the best films for scanning say one or two brands/types
in each of these categories:

B&W (what's best old tech, new tech, chromogenic)

None of the above. Silver films don't allow the use of ICE* and the
chromogenics are grainy (this latter one is a minority viewpoint: my
definition of "acceptable grain" is Provia 100F, and the chromogenics are
seriously gross compared to Provia 100F.)

*: I've only scanned one roll of silver film: Tech Pan. It was quite gritty
(the lab that processed it may have messed up: I was expecting it to be the
eighth wonder, and was disappointed) and dust stood out incredibly
obnoxiously against the grain. (There's no dust in the crops below, though.)

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis/ugly-c1.jpg
http://www.terrapinphoto.com/jmdavis/ugly-c2.jpg

Colour Consumer films ( what's best Slide or Negative?)

The scans I've seen of these indicate they should be avoided at all cost.
One exception: Sensia.

Colour Pro films (what's best Slide or Neagtive?)

Here, the usual suspects are all fine. My favorites a

Negative: Konica Impressa 50, Reala
Slide: Provia 100F, Velvia 100F, Astia 100F

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan