Old May 27th 20, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
David_B[_3_]

Default New Toy and Heat wave.

On 27/05/2020 12:34, newshound wrote:
On 27/05/2020 06:56, Savageduck wrote:
On May 26, 2020, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

My new Mavic Air 2 drone arrived just before noon today.

So most of my day has been taken up with battery charging, and
firmware updates. I managed to get out for a maiden flight around
14:00 hrs with the temperature hovering at 104F (40C). Needless to
say the heat drove me to shorten everything, and the one 4K 30fps 4
minute video I shot was OK until the midpoint when there was what
looked like a ripple running through the playback. It looked like an
imbedded heatwave.

Then I discovered that each of my 3 batteries had to have the battery
firmware updated to match the drone system FW.

Now I am waiting for things to cool down so I can get out for a
sunset flight a little longer than my first excursion in the heat.

Well it finally cooled down a bit and I tried my hand at what amounted
to my first drone flying, and more than a 2 minute iPhone video. I
have never flown a drone of any type before, and I am not yet fully
familiar with the capability, and features of the camera in the Mavic
Air 2. Definately not an example of the smoothest cinematography, but
a demonstration of the potential of this drone. So with those caveats
here is 5+ minutes of a hot, dry part of California.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-8XFHcrH/0/4bc77bdd/1920/i-8XFHcrH-1920.mp4

Pretty stable, then! Was there any wind?

I thought, for an almost first attempt, that the result is excellent. :-)

I'm sorely tempted to get a drone myself. My main concern is complying
with the laws concerning the operating of such an aircraft.