Old March 24th 14, 10:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Neil Ellwood

Default Adams at The Getty

On 2014-03-22 15:36:14 +0000, Robert Coe said:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 07:17:44 -0500, Neil Ellwood
wrote:
: On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 06:39:25 -0400, PeterN wrote:
:
: On 3/20/2014 4:37 PM, Savageduck wrote:
: On 2014-03-20 18:45:48 +0000, PeterN
: said:
:
: On 3/19/2014 10:15 PM, Robert Coe wrote:
: On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 04:11:01 GMT, Jeff wrote:
: : Savageduck wrote in :
: news:2014031622253916211-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom:
: :
: : It looks like a drive down to The Getty might be worth
taking.
: :
: :
:
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/B...-Adams-photos-
: o : : n-display-5323226.php :
: : http://www.getty.edu/visit/exhibitions/future.html
: :
: :
: : There is an exhibition of his work in Indianapolis this
Summer,
: also.
: :
: : http://www.eiteljorg.org/explore/exh...ns/ansel-adams :

: Martha and I have seen two (quite different) Adams exhibits in
the : Boston area in the past eight or ten years. Both were well
worth : seeing. Watch for the enormous murals he did for some San
Francisco : bank and for the picture of one of the minor falls in
(I think)
: Yosemite, where he overprinted a mirror image to enhance the
effect.
: Adams is one of the more interesting photographers of his time.
Like : Benjamin Franklin, he was arguably born too early to get
the most out : of his life. If Adams were, say, fifty years old
today, he might be : the world's leading expert on Photoshop.
:
:
: Absolutely true, and yet the f64 school claims to abhor image :
manipulation with PS.

:
: Since when did any of the members of the f/64 school ever have
access : to PS?
:
:
:
: I was talking about the modern day successors, such as Stephen
Johnson,
: who believes that PS should only be used to make only those PS :
adjustments that do minor color adjustments, levels, curves, etc. No :
removal of objects; no image distortion, etc.I took a one week

workshop : with him, and admire and respect him. At the end of April
I am going ot : a half day seminar his is conducting. But that
doesn't mean I agree with : his style.
:
: Good for you.
: We all like differing things in this life and just because anyone
does : something a certain way doesn't mean that is the only way.
Finding your : own style gives a person pleasure.
:
: It was my wife's birthday last saturday and the whole family went for
a : meal at one of the local chines restaurants. My daughter had
forgotten her : camera and mine was the only one at the dinner. After
the dinner Marion : (my daughter) asked if she could download the
photos (only a few) for her : album on her tablet.
:
: The difference between our results was amazing.

I'm confused. Was the amazing difference between pictures you took and
pictures she took with your camera? Or between pictures you took at the
dinner and pictures she had taken at other events?

Obviously since we had two different photographers sharing one camera
there were "amazing" differences.

More importantly, since the camera both used was Neil's, were his
daughter's results better, or worst than his taken at the same event.

Really just different. It is a matter of her taste compared to mine. I
also use the Gimp white she uses something else which seems to give decent
results but not to my taste.

--
Neil
Reverse ‘a’ and ‘r’