Old April 18th 11, 08:02 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Greg Faris

Default Aero-Technika question

In article , says...

It sounds like you process your own large format roll film. I have
always been curious about this -- what are the processing equipment
and workflow for long rolls of this film like?

I've seen, once, an automatic processing machine for 10" aero film.
Didn't get a look at its innards. It seemed like one mounted the
magazine on it and it slowly pulled the film through each bath in
turn -- a roller-transport machine like a very odd Kreonite or Colenta
paper processor, basically. But is this kind of film ever processed
by hand? How? Surely not on reels?

Thor

It’s true I usually process my film, but that’s only because I have the good
fortune to have access, through my workplace to a Kodak Versamat continuous
rollfilm processor able to be set up to run C41 process. Otherwise, the prices
I indicated are based on those quoted by any number of pro labs who still
offer this service and will probably continue to do so for several years to
come. I am not aware of reel-and-tank systems for these large roll films, but
Kodak does publish times and chemistry for "rewind development" though they
stop short of actually recommending this. The biggest problem with tank or
rewind development is drying the film, which of course is done automatically
in the purpose-made gear.

People keep saying these films are dead or dying, yet Kodak introduced new
emulsions in 5"-100’ format as recently as 2010 with their 2460 Aerocolor IV
negative. One of the interesting aspects of these negative emulsions is their
lack of an orange color mask. This helps resolution, and makes the negatives
themselves much more interesting to look at and much easier to "see" prior to
post processing (which today means scanning) though it is not necessarily a
benefit for color balance per se.

The day will come, probably sooner rather than later, when all of this comes
to a grinding halt, but for today it is still a relatively rapid, compact and
ultra high-quality means of acquisition, with multiple workflow options after
processing.