Old June 24th 04, 05:03 AM
Bob

Default Why go dSLR?

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:18:05 +0200, Alfred Molon
wrote:

Bob wrote:

Much to my surprise, I also found that the D70 camera made vastly superior
pictures as well! And both cameras cost me about the same price - I now
consider the Minolta an over-priced POS.

Concerning the supposed superiority of a DLSR compared to a P&S have a
look at these photos, both taken in the Nubian Museum in Aswan (Egypt),
both at the same time (after sunset at 6 something pm):

Neither of those photos is original, neither are they impressive! A single
modified snapshot between 2 specific cameras doesn't really say much...

All I can tell you is the experience I've had with MY cameras, and I can
definitely say that my D70 is superior to my Minolta 7i and also to my old Kodak
280 and also to an Olympus I had that I forgot the model...

If I take the 2 cameras I still have and take identical pictures at the same
time, there is a big difference between, and if you think about it - there
should not be. If you want, I can post pics taken of the same things with both
cams and you can see for yourself, at Alt.binaries.photos.original.

Now if your P&S cam can take better pics then great!! I never said that ALL
DSLRs were better then ALL others, just that my 2 were like that!

Olympus 5050:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Egypt/.../img.php?pic=7
1/13s f/1.8 at 8.2mm (=40mm) iso125

Pentax *ist D:
http://www.pbase.com/image/25743311
1/20s f/4.0 at 38.0mm iso1600

Perhaps a test at identical F numbers for identical DOF would be more
appropriate.

Note that the DSLR user had to go all the way up to ISO 1600 to get
1/20 s - and his (handheld) shot is still blurred - while I took my
shot at 1/13s and ISO 125.

You shouldn't be taking hand held shots! That doesn't compare the cameras, it
compares nerves... Now I can go buy a Nikkor vibration reducing lens and
get far far better results.

That's probably because the 5050 starts at F1.8, while the lens of
the Pentax DSLR the photographer was using probably started at F4.0.

It's less blurred because the focal length is shorter. What happens if I go out
and buy an F1.2 lens?? Hmm?? Your argument kind of goes out the window...

Now, a 5050 at ISO 125 has less noise than a DSLR at ISO 1600. I can
assure you that the full size image of the 5050 is pretty noiseless and
very sharp.

The noise in your camera at the same ISO of a larger sensor DSLR would be far
higher. If I put a 1.8 lens on my camera it will be quieter than yours.

I think you ran an unfair comparison!