Old September 11th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ftran999

Default Nikon D200 vs. D80

"W Chan" wrote in message
I suppose they are in different class targeting different customers.

"supposedly" the D80 is targeted towards amateurs or current D50/70 owners
looking to upgrade, whereas the D200 is geared towards advanced amateurs and
pros.
However I look at the specs. and find the D80 is really catching up.

I have just sold my D70 to upgrade my gears.

What do you think?

I myself am torn between the D200 and the D80. When the D200 first came out
it seemed like the right camera for me. However, I put off purchasing
one and now the D80 has come along. Upon intitial comparison between the
two, it seemed the only difference was a better constructed body on the
D200 and more segments on the metering on the D200. To me this did not
justify the extra $700 for the D200, so the D80 seemed the more logical
choice.
However, the complicate things further, lurking on the Nikonian.org site, I
discovered that the D80 uses a compressed RAW format while the D200 uses a
non compressed format. What I am going to do is wait awhile for various
review sites to do comparisons between the two cameras. I would like to see
them specifically address the compressed vs non compressed RAW issue.

w.