Old July 14th 04, 10:48 PM
Arte Phacting

Default Nikon made me buy Canon

As a mere novice to photography it seems a shame to see so much anti-support
from such big names.

Digital photography is a sea-change in taking images - it is a shame to see
a customer base being dumped so badly. Didn't N also charge their own
customers for proprietery software bundle too?

If so, that really does make my nipples hurt. A digital camera does need
good software.

I'd like to see one of the big brands team up with PSCS as a bundle. Then I
may (emphasis on may) part with my hard earned spondoolies to DSLR -

I mean DSLR + Lenses + software sorta makes sense in a bundle and to assist
conversion from 35mm to digital

Artie

From: "Zebedee"

I have been a Nikon SLR user for 20 years, using mainly FMs and

occasionally
an F3.

Having tried digital compacts, I wanted to get a digital SLR. I'm quite

keen
on manual focus lenses and see no reason why I should have to use

autofocus
lenses. I was pleased to note that the Nikon bayonet had not changed.

I asked Nikon about using my existing lenses from my FM on a D70

In all fairness to Nikon, if you were still using Canon FD mount manual

focus
lenses then you wouldn't be able to mount those on the dSLR bodies either

since
they require the EF mount. Nikon at least held out longer than Canon ...

Well, if I have to buy new lenses and a new camera, I'm darned well not
forking out for Nikon since they don't support their customers, I said.
Hence I bought a Canon 300D and an 18-55 lens. I shall purchase more
lenses - later.

Bye bye Nikon. You don't support your customer base so we're all

migrating
to Canon!

There is a lengthy list of big-name pros who've switched from Nikon to

Canon
the past 10 years in the nature photography field (often for the super
telephoto IS lenses) and so far as I know almost no big-name guys who

switched
the other way recently. So you are in good company, though their reasons

for
switching were different than yours. Two recent examples are well-known

bird
photographer Tom Vezo, who dumped two F5's, a 600 f/4, a 300 f/2.8 and
miscellaneous other Nikon gear after 30 years of Nikon-only photography to
switch to Canon, claiming the autofocus on the Canon's was much better, or
National Geographic ace Jim Brandenburg, who got the digital bug but was

not
satisfied with the pixel count on the Nikon dSLR's and made the switch so

he
could use the 11 Mpixel Canon 1Ds.

Bill