Old July 14th 04, 08:18 PM
David Bindle

Default Nikon made me buy Canon

Canon stopped making FD mount and non AF bodies more than just a few years
ago (Early eighties?? )
They stopped making one product line... manual focus cameras and lenses
and decided to only make AF cameras and lenses. (EOS)
Virtually all AF Canon lenses since then are 100% compatible and 100%
functional with all Canon EOS (AF) bodies made since this time. (Except for
that one 18-55 lens on the Rebel D)

There are numerous Nikon lenses that don't have 100% functionality with
Nikon bodies that were both made since then. Canon gained 100% through a
new lens mount. Nikon couldn't offer this because they believed they could
do it all AND retain their lens mount. Buyers of Nikon have to do careful
research to find out such facts that AFS lenses would AF on the older F4 but
not on the newer F90 (N90), or that a favorite old MF lens wouldn't meter
properly on their new AF body. Nikon was claiming backwards compatibility
but would introduce new products that were not 100% compatible with their
older products. For some, the lens mount was more important, but for others
the feature compatibility was more important.

It was a big issue in the mid eighties but hardly an argument for today...
either way...
Most people aren't pros and don't have more than 3 or 4 lenses.
(I said MOST... not all)

Nowadays... people interested in manual focus cameras can pick up incredible
Canon FD L lens optics for cheap, due to the fact that Canon changed their
mount. Cheaper than MF Nikon equipment but just as good and sometimes
better...

D.B.

"David Dyer-Bennet" wrote in message
"Zebedee" writes:

Well, if I have to buy new lenses and a new camera, I'm darned well not
forking out for Nikon since they don't support their customers, I said.
Hence I bought a Canon 300D and an 18-55 lens. I shall purchase more
lenses - later.

Bye bye Nikon. You don't support your customer base so we're all

migrating
to Canon!

You do realize that Canon did a much worse thing a few years back,
right? When they went from the FD mount to whatever the auto-focus
system they use now is called, they made a *complete* flag-day change;
no forward or backward compatibility between the old and the new
systems.

Whereas I still use my AIS Nikon lenses on my digital SLR perfectly
happily. And I can use my Nikon auto-focus lenses on my FM, too.
Significant forward and backwards compatibility.
Pics: http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/

http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/