Old July 14th 04, 08:00 PM
Philip Homburg

Default Nikon made me buy Canon

In article ,
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
You do realize that Canon did a much worse thing a few years back,
right? When they went from the FD mount to whatever the auto-focus
system they use now is called, they made a *complete* flag-day change;
no forward or backward compatibility between the old and the new
systems.

Whereas I still use my AIS Nikon lenses on my digital SLR perfectly
happily. And I can use my Nikon auto-focus lenses on my FM, too.
Significant forward and backwards compatibility.

The problem is that Nikon considers the D70 and the D100 consumer electronics
and not a professional dSLR. The D1 works great with manual focus Nikkors
and I assume that the D1H, D1X, and D2H work just as well.

The strange thing is that the D70/D100 buyers don't seem to care. It used to
be the case that every Nikon body would at least work in stop-down metering
mode. I can understand that nobody noticed that the F80 didn't work that way.

But at the original price of the D100, you expect at least that it can work
properly with old extension tubes, bellows, microscope adaptors, etc.

Anyhow, I have played with a D1 and it is a great camera for snapshots.
And eventually, the D1X will become affordable.

--
The Electronic Monk was a labor-saving device, like a dishwasher or a video
recorder. [...] Video recorders watched tedious television for you, thus saving