Old October 30th 18, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.windows7.general
nospam

Default JPG/Mayayana "discussion" (was: Cropping 50 images to the same bottom left corner)

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

| It might look fine, but a lot of data has already
| been dumped out, even at top quality. (0 or 100
| quality number, depending on which tool you use.)
|
| [Does it have _no_ lossless compression setting?]

No. If you try a small sample you can see it. I just
tried it with a 30x90 button BMP that's a gradient
image. Saving it as JPG and then zooming 15x shows
an entirely different pattern of pixel colors.

jpeg was designed for real world photos, not pixel peeping 30x90 pixel
buttons with a gradient, and you probably didn't choose the highest
quality either.

An interesting aside to this: IBM just bought
Red Hat. I think it was something like $15B.

try again. it was $34b.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/28/tech/ibm-red-hat/index.html